When you should call a doctor of Urgent Medical Department?
Special attention should be paid to the old people and children. With old people it is necessary to be very careful, because the symptoms are very often less characteristic, although the condition is difficlut, very ofteh in one or two hours it gets worse.
With children especially infants the signs of diesase are not always typical. If with wet compresses, shower with luke water, medicines for temperature, it does not come down from 39,5 C and beside that it is obvious that condition is difficult, there is despondency, drowsiness – those are the signs to which the attention should be paid. Little children are prone to temptation. After longer period of vomitting, diarrhea (an hour or two) very quickly it leads to very difficult condition (dehidration). That requires hospital treatment of lost liquid supplying with infusions. With the aim of dehidration prevention with children it is adviced to give small sips, more often. Do not warm or cover.
Call doctor immediately if you experience:
- udden strong pain
- Sharp pain in chest or stomach
- Persistent, strong pain behind the sternum that doesn't react to medicines and lasts longer than 5 minutes (could be a sign of heart attack)
- Pain that spreads towards the left hand followed by heavy breathing, sweating, nausiness, disgust and vomitting. Chew one aspirin, sit in semi upright position and call doctor immediately.
- If young people experience chest pain, especially if you can hear difficulties in breathing (heard from the distance- think about lungs edema- a disease that jeopardizes the patients life. Calm the patient, put him in comfortable upright position and call the doctor immedialtely.
- Heavy headache (the strongest ever) which can be a symptom of aneurism (artery enlargement in brain)
- Strong pain in stomach which can present the burst in stomach artery, appendicitis etc.
- With women of fertile age – unbearable pain in lower stomach followed periodically with vaginal bleeding out of menstrual cycle may indicate miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy. Very often patients are not aware of pregnancy and in this case it is very important to get a very quick intervention by the doctor.
- Tingling, weakness, limited mobility of one side of the body, changes in speech, changes in breathing, unequal pupils are the symptoms of brain stroke. As these symptoms are not followed by pain very often they are not paid attention to. In the back is usually a blood clot which came into brain circulation and prevetns the usual flow of blood in the brain. Over the age of 65 brain stroke is not an uncommon case.
- njuries caused in car crashes are often taken in the vechile of urgent medicine to hosptal. If someone is hurt in the house, call the doctor when:
- There are head injuries (brain blood vessel might be hurt which gives symptoms just after few hours).
- There is strong bleeding
- If the wounded limb is swollen, deformed (can't stand on the leg, can't raise the arm) it indicates a break, luxation. Immobilize and call urgent department.
- If the chronic patient gets worse, for example:
- Asthma attack, choking that does not reduce after the usual dose of medincines, do not increase the dose, but call the doctor.
- People with heart diseaes, diabetics, epileptic, must be trained, must know to which extent they can help themselves and when it is necessary to call the doctor.
- With sudden deterioriation at psychiatric patients(shizoprhenic, patients prone to depression, maniacal depressive patients... ) when they harm their health and opther people, become dangerous for the environment – ask for doctor's help.
- In case of suspicion or confirmed misuse of drugs.
- In case of poisoning or suspicion on poisoning (take care not to throw the poison, the vomitted content shouldn't be removed until the doctor's arrival). The cure depends on proper recognition of the poison. Don't be surprised if the doctor takes the bottle of poison to the hospital with the patient.
- Critical situations when there is a threat of suicide – call the doctor immediately.
Situations when the disease can wait until tomorrow (does not require urgent medical help).
- In case of slight infection or cold stay in bed, try to reduce the high temperature; exceptios are cases of choking, disabity to swallow.
- In case of small injuries give first aid. The exception is strong bleeding which does not stop even after first aid. Bites ( dogs, cats, fox... ) requires doctor's help.
- In case of pain of familiar origin (I had similar problems before) like pain in lumbal area, headache, menstrual pain etc.
- In case of problems with digestion (unpleasant constipation, vomitting, which is not followed by high temperature) but exception is bleeding followed by suddenly swollen stomach. Drink liquid, stay in bed, contact your doctor tomorrow.
- If you have run out of your usual medications – always try to have some reserves of medicines, especially insulin and heart medicines.
- If you ned some information about your health, ask your chosen doctor! A doctor at urgent services does not have any time for it, neither he is going to judge about the diagnosis. His task is to help the patients urgently.
After all, each person should decide whether to call the uregent department of not. Teh decision is not an easy one. If you have any doubts call the doctor. If the situation is difficult, every second is important. If you called unnecessarily – you are not the first one who did it.
Is there anything wrong? You don't feel well, you should contact the doctor. Is it necessary to do it immediately? You know yourself and the memebers of your family best. Leave to your intuition! If you are indecisive, call your doctor.
Try to define your problems
- We suggest you give a mark to your pain (on the scale from one to ten)
- When did the problems start?
- State the medicines you take.
- Which diseases did you have?
These will make it easeir to give information to the doctor. If there is no time for it, don't panic, call the doctor to 94 (call is from all the telephones free) or from your mobile 022 311 124.
- The health worker of the urgent medicine in charge decides on priorities. The patient in most critical condition has priority – it is judged according to your precious answers. The most common questions are:
- What does the patient complain about?
- When did it start?
- Did it start all of sudden?
- Which medicines does he/she take?
- Name and surname
Do not ever do
In your wish to reach the doctor as soon as possible when you feel bad, don't get in the car on your own, don't drive when you are sick (nervous, have high temperature, nausea, disgust, vomit). During the way your condition may deterioriate and a risk for causing a traffic accident is higher.
With the aim of prevention of false calls we always ask for a the name of the person who called the urgent department as well as the telepohone from which the phone call was made. All conversations are recorded.