Health and Health Centre „Dr Jovan Jovanović Zmaj“ in Stara Pazova
Border town Stara Pazova was established in 1770, when Petrovaradin Border Regiment was brought to the moors, called Pashoe, that is Pazova. As this was border area with Turkey, great importance had health protection, especially control and prevention. In the 18th century, during the Austrian-Turkish wars, the temporary field hospital was in Stara Pazova and during the great plague at the end of the 18th century, doctors who came to prevent the plague expansion are mentioned for the first time and they initiated creation of the sanitary cordon as one of the ways to stop the infectuous diseases spreading.
Although, new discoveries in the field of medicine at the beginning of the 19th century, like for example vaccination, were unable to stop the measles, scurvy and other diseases spreading. Slovakian priest Samuel Jesenski, in its manuscript chronicle of Stara Pazova, at the occassion wrote the following: „This is a difficult 1820 year especially for children. Measles have stricken those vaccinated as well as those unvaccinated, which proves that no disoveries can help against God’s will.“ The border vicinity, and most of all lack of the clean and good quality drinking water were the causes for great epidemic of cholera, typehold fever, dysentery which will decimate the population of Stara Pazova. From that time, in the above mentioned chronicle there in a record that in Pazova lived educated midwife Alžbeta Kulik and barber Kristijan Konig, who let the blood and cured with leech. At the time the traditional medicine, curing with herbs were widely used but there was also magic.
Especially disastrous were were cholera epidemic in 1823, 1836, 1849, 1854, 1873 when in every rush of the epidemic died in average about 20% of Pazova population.
As a way of prevention, new wells were dug, but new spings didn’t stop the epidemic. No matter of all these, authorities had no understanding for the Pazova population which were destined to go do regiment doctors inMitroivca, Petrovaradin or civil physicians in Zemun. In extraordinary cases, the doctor from Kontumac – Karanitin which was on the river island in Banovci, would come.
Finally on 4th December 1870, Stara Pazova got its first doctor. It was Andrija Huber. A difficult task was waiting for him, because the Military Border was disband and Stara Pazova became a large district which included 17 settlements.
At the end of 19th century, ambulances were established in settlements in which the treatment was performed by hastily trained nurses, without the presence of a doctor. With an order dated 4th July 1894. Vacciantion against trachome became compulsory. Because of extremely high percentage of deaths with babies, special attention was placed for the education of midwives.
Novelties came with the 20th century. In the repprt by district doctor in Stara Pazova dr Julius Samac, written on 10th May 1901. and sent to the county adminstration in Vukovar, it has been confirmed that first ambulance in Stara Pazova was established.
Because of the vicinity of Danube, low terrain and groundwaters very oten led to typehold fever, dysentery, cholera and malaria. So, in August 1902 the first Infective Clinic, which, although was short lived, managed to serve its purpose. In 1907. The first dermatology hospital was opened in Stara Pazova, which existed only while there were infections.
Before the First World War, there was an infection of cholera again in Stara Pazova and so new improvised hospital for Infectuous dieseases was opened. At the beginning of the war, the so called Field Military Hospital was opened. As district doctor was mentioned dr Milorad Maksimović. After the war, in the new state, Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenians, Stara Pazova was part of the Srem District and from 1929. of Danube Banovina. As one of the primary problems, which were to be solved, there again emerged the problem of population health protection.
In the years 1928/1929 the construction of the first District Health Station in Stara Pazova was started. The building was completed in 1930. and started with work in 1931. The first doctor at that health station was Dr Vladimir Vereš. In the year of 1933. The Health Council of Stara Pazova district was formed with the aim of monitoring and promoting the health service on the territory.
During the Second World War doctors changed because of the going to the front and molbilizations, and occupying armies had their doctors. During the final battles for liberation Military hospital of the National Liberation Army and Red Army was opened in Stara Pazova. On 11th February, at the District National Lliberation Council, a Health Deprtment was established. At the time Stara Pazova still didnt’t have its doctors. Dr Pejaković was mentioned as district doctor in 1946. With the aim of protection from skin diseases, infections and lice, a bathroom and chamber for steam treatment of clothes was opened in Stara Pazova.
31st. May 1946. The first Rontgen machine was set and in Stara Pazova and Antituberculosis station was established.
On 27th March 1947. District Peoples Commitee brought and order that Dr Vereš and doctor Pejaković are to be the doctors in Stara Pazova. Stomotologyst at the time was Dr Šimunović. In the fifiteis Stara Pazova had three stomotologysts. They were Đurđija Šovljanski, dr Klašnja and Šimunović.
On 28th February 1958. Health Centre in Stara Pazova was formed and it inluded: General Practice, Pediatrics, Gynecologyst, Stomatology and Antitureculosis station.
On 18th February 1969. The decision to build a new building of the Health Centre was brought. Manager was dr Vranić.
In 1976 it got its present name „Dr Jovan Jovanović Zmaj“
On 7th July 1982, Emergency services were established at Health Center „Dr Jovan Jovanović Zmaj“ in Stara Pazova.